Here’s a look at one of the other things I do.
This is a tablet-woven band based on a medieval pattern from the late 1100s, which is nicely period for my persona. According to the book I got the pattern out of, the original color of the base was reddish, but the brocading was in silver; I decided I liked gold better.
The base threads are Guterman silk sewing thread; the brocade weft is four strands of DMC embroidery floss. (747? Something like that.) I started out turning the cards forward all the time, till too much twist built up, and now I’m turning backwards for a while. The bonus of brocading is that the turning isn’t complex: you just turn the whole pack of tablets at once. The fiddly bit is picking up the tiedowns for the weft.
My loom, meanwhile, is nicely low-tech; it started life as a two-foot oak board and a couple of drawer-handles. This setup holds the band horizontal for easy working. I do have to do a bit of fiddling to advance the warp when necessary, but I can live with a bit of inconvenience.
Got no idea what I’m going to do with this when it’s done; it isn’t as if I do a lot of SCA stuff these days…